29.5.10

the sky could be blue, i don't mind..without you its a waste of time

Strawberry Swing by Coldplay

I still remember when Coldplay released their album, Viva La Vida. I was so enamoured with their first single, Violet Hill and became incredibly obsessed as I first encountered the Viva La Vida iTunes promo. They surely had progressed and matured in their song writing. 2008 was characterised with listening to Coldplay endlessly and scouring through their older material and thus, falling head over heels for this lovely English band so there is no doubt that listening to this album will inevitably bring back great memories.

June 2008: Strawberry Swing forever.
I took the picture below in the Chinese Friendship Gardens back then. It was a beautiful day and I listened to this song as I ventured in the garden, taking photographs of all the lovely sights I saw. The day exactly mirrored the lyrics of the song, 'It's such a perfect day//the sky could be blue, i don't mind, without you its a waste of time'. And now, whenever I listen to the song, I cannot help but think of warm winter days spent in the city all alone. In a way, I felt quite lonely at the time...but with Chris Martin's voice accompanying my adventure in the city, it wasn't bad after all.

Lovers in Japan: Commuting to and from Parramatta
Lovers in Japan can potentially be my favourite off Coldplay's amazing album. I feel as if the song radiates happiness (if it could) and I feel empowered and so inspired whenever I listen to it. Though, in particular, I love the slow opening transcending to an upbeat change in tempo complimented with the piano-esque sounds. Ha! And that brings me back to 2008 when I was commuting to and from Parramatta for a whole week during work experience. Those days were characterised by lonely and cold morning rides to Redfern station then changing lines to catch the services to my work experience destination. As I was listening to Coldplay's album on repeat at that period of time, I listened to Lovers in Japan during all my commutes...and I didn't feel as alone. In fact, after work experience, I felt as if I started to miss those commutes to Parramatta. I don't know how to articulate how I feel but I felt a sense of happiness but sadness at the very same time whilst commuting. Lovers in Japan not only fuelled it but provided a basis for where my emotions laid. Perhaps I am not making any sense...but only good memories accompany when I listen to this wonderful song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)