20.1.10

Throw the ashes into the sea

Haiti by Arcade Fire
As a young person living in Australia, I guess it can easily be said that we take many things for granted. Living in a house, having drinking water, food everyday and all these luxurious goods that make life so much easier.

2010 started off with a devastating earthquake in Haiti. Honestly, I was not so affected with it initially because I just thought of the catastrophe as one that was similar to the 2004 South Asian Tsunami. However, the reality hit me just then, when an aftershock hit Haiti. I went through all the photos I could find of the ruins that remain in Haiti and the shots of the dead lying in the streets of Haiti. I can't believe my eyes, the photos I saw will forever be imprinted in my mind and the shock that accompanies it will also remain forever. I know I am so privileged and so lucky to be living in such an amazing country and I really should not be taking this life for granted. Look at the people in Haiti, they're all living on the streets, without any shelter whatsoever and probably go to sleep without a sufficient meal in their stomachs. That leaves me wondering, in such a privileged position, how may I reach out to help the Haitians in a time when time and money are so crucial. I really want to help them so bad...in a way, I wish I was a doctor so that I could fly over and help them, using my own bare hands. However, I cannot and am resorting to donating money. But I want to do more than just donate...how else could I help? This is a terrible catastrophe that has stricken such a hopeless nation. I feel as if the world must unite and help, to help rebuild Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)