25.2.11

now the cities we live in could be distant stars

Suburban War - Arcade Fire

I suppose the oddest thing about the transition from high school to university is the break of familiarity for me. Ever since school started, we had been always treading the same road. But this is now different - it is probably the same with work and pressure but the learning appears to be so much more condensed and concentrated; we're training for our future professions, training for how we are to be as adults in society.

Despite hating on English so much in high school, I have grown a particular fondness for it after the HSC. One night as I felt overwhelmed and terribly claustrophobic, I found myself turning towards Gwen Harwood's 'At Mornington', reading it and realising what beautiful words she has written down from pen to paper. And I cannot help but realise how much contemporary relevance Blade Runner has to our current society - the HSC Advanced English Course was very insightful and now I miss it. And I miss doing maths so much.

What I find the most frightening though is how friendships will inevitably drift apart. It's like that change from primary to high school though I suppose this would different. The teenage years were when we changed the most, found ourselves in the world, lost others along the road and developed our identities. I guess that could say that we changed together. The separation will truly test these ties that we've found in high school and may they only strengthen but not wear as time passes by.

Growing up is confusing. Sometimes you find yourself attracted to one idea and another time, attracted to something completely on a different spectrum. I've never been more confused in my life. Time to grow up.

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, your last few sentences, I agree with them completely.
    "Growing up" what does that even mean? Does it mean we have to comply to some social convention? Or assume some sort of extra responsibility? Does it mean we have to know exactly who we are and where we're going? 'Cause god knows, no one's ever clear about that, not in their entire lives.
    It's actually a bit of a scary prospect, to be honest. I guess it means carving a place in the world for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to find out what this all means as well... I feel like 'Growing up' is so abrupt...everyone around me is changing and I feel 'left behind'.

    Only the lucky few really know where they're going I suppose...And yes, Mersini, I completely agree...we are expected to carve a place in the world - somewhere we've not ventured out to before.

    I wish there was a handbook to being human sometimes...things just would be easier somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, there can't be a handbook because no life is the same. Life is about discovering things on your own, I suppose.

    I know exactly what you mean about feeling left behind. Maybe it's just the people we know; we're all growing in different ways, and it means we're starting to drift a little.

    And yeah, it seems that as soon as you leave school, everyone expects you to be a lot more mature, and just generally more "grown up" but none of us actually know what that means. We can't do it overnight. I truly think our real self discovery is going to come now, during university, because we'll be given more freedom to explore ourselves, our interests, what makes us tick, and what we live for.
    I dunno...you're talking to someone who has been in a perpetual state of a huge identity crisis, so I'm not the best authority on these things....

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)