3.3.11

Everything is Everything


It always stuns me with how fast time really flies. It's been a year since I saw Phoenix and right now, if it were 2010, I'd be in Legal Studies in computer room 1 and trying in vain to finish my research. I'd probably be procrastinating as well and talking to Kelly, also procrastinating. The memory I have of that day is so vivid, particularly because it was so fun. Then I'd be training home, texting Vivien cause I freaked out whilst I waited for Cecilia to get to my house so we could train it to Milson's Point. Whilst waiting on the platform, I grabbed my chemistry notes out to study whilst she started talking about History & Memory and English. The train ride was filled with excitement and I can fondly recall that that day was pleasant (weather wise) and the sunset was most beautiful. Noone had arrived once we got to Luna Park so we ventured near the harbour and talked...and I sat there looking up at the sky, wondering what uni would be like and what would eventuate by the end of the year. The others arrived as well - somewhat met with some awkward silences since I only knew 2 of them and the others were new friends but really amazing people now that I think of it.

I remember going into the venue and feeling very nervous - but the nervousness was eased as the support band starting playing; music has this tendency to relax I reckon. The support band, Papa vs Pretty were actually pretty darn awful and once they announced they were playing, 'Wrecking Ball', I immediately made a connection to Interpol's song and thought they were covering the song; alas, they weren't and I can fondly recall our cheering once they announced they were onto their last song.

The wait for Phoenix was long and grueling and terribly exciting. We stood there whilst the sets were changed and as the clocks were ticking onto 9:00pm, I don't think the crowd could really hold in their excitement any longer. I was yearning for them to pop out and at the most unexpected moment, the lights dimmed whilst the opening for 'Lisztomania' churned out from the speakers; the concert was on. From the force of the crowd pushing and shoving, it was hard to stay with friends and I deviated away from a few in my concert clan and tried in vain to keep my head up in that immensely exciting moment. Phoenix were amazingly tight and sound exactly the same as they do on record. I spent the night in the Big Top, looking at the strobe lights, listening to the glorious music and felt on a high - one that was induced by the melodies of Phoenix's songs.

At the end of the night, I suppose we were all stuck in a euphoric high. The rest of the concert clan went off to buy merchandise leaving myself and another friend standing around and chatting. He was very nice, offering to buy the tshirt for me on eBay or something since I didn't have any money but I really didn't want to bother him. Though now, after a year and browsing around Phoenix's webstore, I really want to buy a shirt. Then off we got out of the venue and to the convenience store...Haha, I still remember one of them buying Orange juice cause they are obsessed with that stuff...And I was deliberating whether to buy some soda or a bottle of water and opted for the latter instead, to rehydrate my very wet and tired self.

Looking at Sydney Harbour at night from the position of the Luna Park is magical. Even when you're on a shitty CityRail platform i.e. Milson's Point, you can't help but wonder why is this all so beautiful and feel that world is truly amazing and big. Everything is Everything. (ha!)
And so the journey home via CityRail...we read past MXes and laughed all the way home. We were tired, worn and still euphoric.

I never wrote up a long extensive post of that night here; only complementing the post of the event with a few images and videos of the night. I wonder why I was so nervous going to the concert in the first place - though I can recall feeling reckless since I was going to a concert right before school assessments. And the chemistry and english I was studying on the train? It's true when they say that once you're out of HSC, you realise that it was all a breeze and a gentle one too. The memory of that night is still crystal clear in my mind, I just never really wrote it down online. And here it is, scribed on my blog with permanent internet ink. May that memory never fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)