29.5.11

Carbon Taxes + Cate Blanchett

In light of the whole Cate Blanchett controversy with regard to her support for Carbon Tax, I was just thinking about both sides of the argument and found myself caught between two ideals. There is no denying that carbon pollution is a great problem in our 21st Century society and putting a price on carbon is something that needs to be done in some way or another. Despite that, and even though I am not usually one who'll consider Liberal's ideals, I thought about the repercussions of implementing this tax upon normal lower/middle class Australians.

It seems to me that the green movement is very much alive in the younger generation, or if I can rephrase, my generation. I keep receiving facebook invitations from a green activist girl (who is studying law due to her undying passions for human rights + the environment and which I once offended for saying, 'BLAH HUMAN RIGHTS!') telling me to 'SAY YES' to the carbon tax. Her passion for such a cause is admirable and I understand why some people of my age are taking such a stance upon the implementation of the carbon tax. We were educated in school about the pumping of carbon into the atmosphere, we learnt all about the thinning of the ozone layer, we learnt all about global warming....it all stems from our increased awareness and being global citizens, it is rightful for us to stand up for such a cause. If we do want to see a better future, us - as the future of tomorrow, we have to stand up and take initiative to stop the excessive pumping of carbon into the atmosphere. I understand it.

However, as I stand on the other side of the spectrum, from those who are totally against the carbon tax, I can similarly empathise. Apparently, the standard of living in Australia is one of the highest in the world. And despite not citing any sources from my allegation, I do agree. I visited London and was astounded at how comparably cheap their produces were and what incredible benefits they have...not to mention their brilliant health care system, one which trumps the Australian healthcare system by miles. Despite that, London transportation will never be as cheap as Sydney's. It is an incredible expense that one... Okay, getting off track. What I really want to say is that the standard of living is on the rise in Australia. Everything is getting pricier. To put it safe, it's not cheap being Australian when compared to other countries. Taxes are high as well - and do you all remember when Howard said there won't be any WHATSOEVER of the Goods + Services Tax? And yet we still saw its implementation and Australians have been paying such a tax ever since. I'm sure that even if you've not been watching those shitty current affair shows, that you must know that electricity bills, water bills etc are on the rise. Not to mention that the supermarkets in Australia basically operate under a duopoly so the big ones out there can charge you for whatever they want. The toll upon normal lower - middle class Australians will be huge if they must implement another tax. There has already been a flood tax - one that I'm not opposed to since, well, it is justified.

Apparently, Gen Y will become a generation renting houses. As I see the prices on the market, I get a little scared cause they are so ridiculously high and I am afraid I won't be able to afford housing in the future. And with the onslaught of taxes - well maybe because we're Gen Y that we won't feel the repercussions of this tax on our wages yet, since most of us are not working full time and still living with parents. But I think we'll feel the burden once we start working, once we start repaying our HECS, once we need to pay taxes, once we start paying the bills ourselves...Will we still be living as we are today?

If I'm economically incorrect in any of my paragraphs, please forgive me.
I've never studied any of that.
But this is just how I see it.

That's why I'm caught between two ideals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)