12.6.11

Gen Y Australians.

So I was just browsing on facebook and my friend liked a page, 'God made us all different. But when he got to China he thought 'Fuck it'' which I thought was pretty funny initially cause yeah, perhaps a lot of Chinese people do look the same. I was curious and thereby proceeded to have a look at the comments on the page. To my absolute disgust and horror, I see posts accusing Chinese people of supposedly taking away Australian's jobs and how they should 'get out of the country'. I tend to take a light hearted approach on these facebook pages but the page reveals so much of Australia's current mentality.

Racism is still big and there seems to be no turning back on it. What is more worrying is that the majority liking the page are Gen Y, my generation. I had thought that racism was closing in on my generation but clearly I have thought wrong. I am absolutely disgusted and angered by much of the posts on there. Is it necessary to accuse a race of something that is completely out of control? That we're taking your jobs, that we're flooding your cities. Australia is a multicultural society, CLICHE BUT THAT'S WHAT OUR SOCIETY IS. DO YOU THINK THAT WITHOUT IMMIGRANTS THE WORKFORCE WILL BE AS OKAY AS IT IS NOW? DO YOU THINK THAT WITHOUT IMMIGRANTS THAT YOU CAN EAT ALL THAT FOOD THAT YOU LOVE? ALL THE INDIAN CUISINE, ALL THAT HONEY CHICKEN?
I will copy and paste some of the most hateful comments here because they are disgusting:

Alan: fucking slant eyed wide screen seeing mothafuckas
Aaron: fuck the gooks
Brodie: The MotherFukerz Are Taking Over The World, Asian Invasion
And there is one dude who posted an argument on how Asians were taking Aussie jobs...but I think he deleted it because he realised how disgusting his argument was.

It's disappointing and saddening to see that the bigotry stemming from previous generations are still carried on. And that's why last year's study of belonging was actually highly relevant to me. How can you expect a girl of evident Asian heritage to embrace being 'Australian'? Despite being an Australian citizen, I've always had conflicts whether I am truly an Australian or just Chinese. I'm too afraid to spot an Australian flag because my skin colour isn't of a white colour. Even on Australia Day, I do nothing. I sit at home like its another public holiday though I do wish it was possible to chill like everyone else. I don't know, I must be sounding quite weird here... But sometimes, I do believe that Australia Day creates boundaries amongst races. Would an Asian person spotting temporary Australian flag tattoos not get yelled at?

Despite that, some do have consciences. I hope that people who are posting racist comments are only part of the minority.

Harry: Reported this page for racism, encouraging other people with a conscience to do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Valid point. Australia is not as multicultural as people make it to be. It's as though they gift wrapped Australia and present it as perfect pot of ethnicities but behind the facade it's still a country that is highly racist. Shame on those people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on observation Emily! It's quite saddening to know that people are still so bigoted. And I thought our society was becoming more and more accommodating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh, I agree. Racism is bred from nothing but ignorance and misunderstanding though I guess those people are too lazy to get off their high horse and attempt to understand the beauty of different cultures. It's also disappointing how much of the racism in our society is from gen y, no doubt a result of their older generations racist remarks.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)