1.12.11

Aggravated

I get so aggravated whenever I view something that is deeply rooted in xenophobia online where people lash out horrible remarks against others. After viewing the racist rant on a London tram on youtube, my blood boiled so much for her incredibly disgusting remarks against immigrants. How intolerant are you? What is this? People, despite having education are still so xenophobic in nature and that just scares me. Why can't everyone be accepting of everyone else? What's so disgusting about making friends with other races? It's what enriches our lives.

Yet as I watch that video, I can't help but think of Australia. There are still so many racial divides in society and that despite all the 'we are one, but we are many' songs that we had to sing in primary school and what not, there are still subclans of ethnic minorities in existence that aren't integrated to society. Racism makes me sick to the core and I just wish that people weren't so ignorant and so xenophobic. Effective education from a young age is crucial to overcome these ignorant views...but I have a feeling that achieving harmony and acceptance between everyone of all races will be something that won't happen in the near future...particularly in my life time.

And what's most funny is that...well, today I went to Paddy's Markets with my sister and her boyfriend just for kicks...just to walk around and what not. We walked past a few Caucasian young boys who didn't seem to be Sydneysiders...perhaps country boys going into the city for the day or something. They walked past us and after that I heard mockingly, 'bart-tar-flai', spoken in an accent. I suppose they were mocking our ethnicity and at that instance I really wanted to go up to them and remark that they had no right to mock us. We speak perfectly fine English and grew up here. I am as every bit Australian as you are. But alas, I didn't do a thing and walked off..

Sometimes I wonder why racism exists? Especially amongst western countries. Isn't it ironic that those in Asian countries receive westerners with such warm welcomes? What's even more bizarre is that whenever an Asian shopkeeper sees them, they treat them with an elevated level of respect and even a more welcoming stance... I just don't get why sometimes none of this is reciprocated...especially in Cronulla. Ha. I've not been there in ages...don't plan to either. I can't take racism, it makes me incredibly aggravated and then become passionate to eliminate it. I want to eliminate it to be honest....I hope there's a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)