2.12.11

Red Lights


Today I've been reminiscing about my visit to the UK. It's been nearly a year since I stepped off the plane and landed into Heathrow Airport and was absolutely amazed by all the sites I saw (of which were previously only observed via digital means). I can remember that initial landing where I was just so excited to finally see London. I have dreamed of going there since forever...well, perhaps since 2007 as it was the time when I fell in love with Mod 60s style (I still want to be a mod sometimes). Nevertheless, my uncle and aunty picked us up and we drove through the city and it was early in the morning...so it seemed as though the world was still asleep. It was also deep into winter the day we arrived so even though it was 7:30am on the clock, the world was all dark. I was terribly tired in the car with my body being so confused as to where it was. From departing a bright, sunny and hot Sydney we were suddenly in a climate where it was cool and the sun set at 4:00pm. But upon first glance at London town....I was immediately head over heels in love. Thinking about that first ever scene of the Thames River still gives me tingles. Some early morning joggers were also by the river, living life as they knew it. But to me, a Sydneysider who regards 15 degrees as cold was just so... wow, I don't even have the words to describe what I felt...But I was just amazed. 

Fast forward to a week into England and we had already visited a few places. One trip I will never forget is our trip back from Bristol to London, via Yatminster, a country town. We went on a detour there to visit my dad's friend who resides in this lovely cul-de-sac within this lovely village that is even smaller than Yatminster. Where he lived was quintessentially village lifestyle, with a local pub down the road and other villages connected by just one narrow road. We had dinner at the Chetnole Inn, a place where I will never forget and always yearn to go back to because of the amazing food they serve. I had bangers and mash with an amazingly delicious entree and side...Honestly the best pub food I have ever had in my life. 

Anyway, we had to drive back from Yatminster to suburban London...and it was quite late at night. We bought dad a coffee from the local petrol station and thus began perhaps the longest drive of his life. We were all exhausted and just flat out. The silly me also didn't remember to charge my iPod so I was just hanging onto its short life. Nevertheless, we drove through the countryside roads where there were minimal lights. I remember breathing onto the car windows and watching the world outside past by. There were some occasional lights outside which perhaps belonged to farm houses...everything was just so fantastically peaceful. My iPod was on shuffle so Delphic's Red Lights came on. We drove into the highways and as I watched outside, Red Lights was on full blast. And now whenever I hear this song, I can't help but think of the highways in England... 

Dad was so tired from the drive that approximately an hour away from home, we stopped by the side of the road to take a rest. Everyone in the car was asleep and we were cold and my brother and I huddled together. I had already taken a few naps and hence, watched the cars outside whizz by and turned up Delphic's music even louder. UK - I miss you.

My incredible nostalgia may be too much to handle. But I think these few days I'll be posting about my visits. I want to remember as much detail as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)