14.5.12

Irony

How ironic is it that with technology we are so connected yet even more isolated at the very moment?There are sometimes these impulses that I have with looking at my phone. And when I see no notifications, I feel a little sunken, perhaps a little annoyed even. With the onslaught of technological applications, it's inevitable that we yearn to be connected to the people around us. But what if we're just too connected that it somehow becomes overwhelming even? Yeah, I think that actually happens. Sometimes I just wish I could turn off my phone or maybe purposely leave it at home one day...but then the consequences of it are not ideal. My mother would freak out, not knowing where I was and if I simply just turn off my phone...I can't simply do my assignment because my uni mates cannot find me. I tried deleting facebook for a few days but that didn't work out in the long run because the primary means of contacting my uni friends was via facebook for our assignment. It just seems that the dependence on technology has resulted it being so hard to actually stop using it. We're simply addicted to these services, that it has become ingrained to our subconscious...we're just slaves to networking.

Sometimes I wish I could just flee away from networking, drop all connections that I have with everyone whom I currently talk to on all these platforms and ignore. It's just that despite the connection, there are those highly useful tools of allowing you to detect that you are indeed being isolated despite having the conversation flow with them. Like Whatsapp, you can see when the contact was last online and thenceforth, you can assume when they've read your stuff. In most cases, it's really nothing but there's this element of paranoia where you think you are being ignored. It could be true anyway. And then comes facebook...it's terribly hard to evade checking facebook... I think the more you go on, the more you feel isolated because you just observe pictures of others going about with their lives and you wonder what you are doing on a Friday, clicking through all their pictures. Doesn't seem very inviting innit?

Technology is a great and a bad thing. It's hard to know what stance I take. I love it because it has helped us learn more about the world and have luxuries our ancestors could only ever dream of. And yet, it has helped tarnish the sentimentality of written correspondence, be it letters or just simple notes. Letter writing has dropped off the radar...only the romantics think of it nowadays. I still have high regard for writing and I honestly wish I could...but I just don't know who to. I still have that pack of brown envelopes sitting in my drawer. It's unused and I desperately wish there was someone to mail. I remember watching Midnight in Paris and that the main message in that film is that we will always fantasise a different era as the very best. We need to live in the present though, because that's what we're presented with. But it's hard to think about those days when lovers used to send each other letters...waiting by the letterbox and ripping open the letter one had been yearning for days. What a feeling it must've been.

If I ever get a chance, I'll write...hopefully to someone who is worthy of it. Yah, that's me edging intense cheesiness and romantic-ness. Bugger, my English is declining exponentially. Nevertheless, I wonder who it will be. And I can only hope that they'd do the same. I think the world is lacking romance nowadays. Cliche complaints, but look at pop culture. Is there anything blowing us away with the incredible romance there is? Not really. I mean...srsly, look at our music. *shrugs* That's why as of late, I have had such urges to read Jane Austen and rewatch Pride + Prejudice... What sentimentality.

This post is written terribly...sorry. xx

1 comment:

  1. I've done it. Dropped off the face of the social networking world.

    I guess at the same time I decided to go out more with people I was ~really~ in connection with. Because I thought - if people really want to be my friend, then they would contact me and make an effort to be my friend.

    Maybe I'm just stupid.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)