23.4.10

The infrastructure will collapse

House of Cards by Radiohead

I feel so chill right now. It's Friday night and I'm at home, sitting here, half relaxing and half doing maths. I went to the hospital to volunteer today. It isn't my first time volunteering at the hospital but it was my first time going to the wards and talking to patients. I was honestly incredibly nervous before visiting the patients since I've never done such a thing before in my life and didn't really have any idea what to say. But it proved to be a pleasant experience and talking to the bed ridden patients was much more fun than I thought. Morgan and I talked to this elderly man first who skidded his arm on the pavement and thus, was admitted to hospital. He was so sweet and lovely, we both loved talking to him. It was a little strange first of all since we really didn't know where to start. I reckon its pretty hard since we have no idea of their backgrounds and don't want to offend them at all. You see, if I start asking about family...what if they don't have family? That will make them feel even more worse...Eh. We spoke to the gentleman for approximately 45 minutes and then moved to the other side of the ward, where there were a few old ladies who were desiring some company.

We volunteered for about an hour and headed home since it was starting to get a little late. Volunteering is quite rewarding. And it made me feel better on a personal level. The patients' appreciation is what really warms my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there, anything you'd like to tell me? :)